Wednesday AM Update

Mammoth Mtn picked up 2 inches at the main lodge and up to 4 inches over the upper elevations….

.44 inches at the main lodge plot past 24 hours.  .10 at with a dusting over night…..

Another 4 inches is possible later Today/Ngt in the “Upper Elevations”….

CRFC QPF paints 1.39 in the Yosemite Valley for 24 hours amounts Friday/Ngt so considering temps, 12 to 18 inches additional expected by Early Sat AM on Mammoth Mtn with Much Much more during the rest of Saturday AM.

No local plow expected now until late Friday or Friday night as the snow levels remains above the village….

Tempo to pick up late Friday Night as the dynamic portion of the upper jet makes it way south into Mono County. The snow-level will fall later Friday night then rapidly into Saturday.  A period of Heavy snow is expected early Saturday morning until the front comes through. (FROPA) is currently expected between 10:00am & 11:00am….then showery weather Saturday PM for the remainder of the day will “additional significant” accumulations. Showery weather will continue for the following day or two with lighter amounts…..Highs by Sunday in the mid 20s……

Would expect a winter storm watch hoisted for Late Friday Night and Saturday…….By Thursday Afternoon from NWS.

The Longer Range is changing……Stay Tuned to…….Mammoth’s best local weather source……….


Dr Howard and the Dweebs…………………….:-)



From Tuesday AM:

As earlier indicated….Tahoe north will get the Lions share of the QPF from the series…However, Mammoth well get a nice dump from the 3rd storm over the weekend….now located between the dateline and Hawaii.

The winds picked up last night with the main action focused this morning well to the north of Mono County as expected…

This 1st system is quite windy and is expected to lift-out NW of our area late today with the 2nd expected Wednesday into Thursday. The first few systems will not spill over much to the east other then to allow some 4 to 6 inches over the crest between Wednesday through Thursday. The 3rd storm is the charm with the coldest temps, best dynamics, upper jet support and best follow through over the Sierra on to the east. This is the one that will be plowable for the residential areas of Mammoth beginning Friday then through the weekend.

The 00z Tuesday GFS had a 500-1000mb thickness pool just west of Mammoth of 522DM early Sunday morning.  Good for a snow level of about 2000 ft. Thickness’s will go from 540dm Saturday at 5:00am to about 530dm by Sat 5:00pm. So the snow will be light and powdery by Saturday afternoon then becoming even drier by late in the day into the night. Storm Total QPF is always dependent upon how fast the system blows through. As of this time….it is forecasted to be about 3.50 to 4.00 inches by weeks end near Yosemite…..good for 3 to 4 feet over the higher elevations by Sunday PM. Sunday looks cold and showery, then additional short wave energy is expected the following week.

LA’s best shot will be Saturday with best dynamics between early Saturday AM through the mid afternoon……with several areas getting well over an inch to possibly two of rain in some pretty good down pours.


Longer range:

The 12z GFS has improving conditions Monday through Wednesday next week as the next trof becomes closed off and waits for the boot from the next upstream system the second half of next week.  Although that is certainly possible, the ECMWF is just slower moving the big upper trof out with then the next upstream system working its way into the west coast Thursday/Friday.


PS…..What’s a Snorkel Train?

Something Gary or Arnie made up from KIBS….



The Dweeber……………………..:-)


Reference Glossary of Weather Terms
Disclaimer: I have been a hobbyist meteorologist for over 30 years here in the Mammoth area and I do this for my personal enjoyment. The National Weather Service saves lives every day . . . I do not. When making important planning decisions please use information provided by the National Weather Service as they are the most knowledgeable and accurate information source available today.