Stalled Front Over Southern Mono County Late Yesterday Afternoon Dumps 9 Inches at the Village and 16 inches On Old Woolly…..Apparently…..Storms are lined up Next Week for Best Christmas Ever!!!
Thursday December 13, 2012
Posted at 7:21 am by Howard
An active weather pattern is expected to continue for the next week. However, there are still a few more parts of the current pattern to keep the weather unsettled through the weekend.
Here are the WX players both today and through the weekend:
1. The weather for today Thursday will be highlighted by an exiting upper low at 700mb that will wrap some moisture back into the sierra this afternoon and evening bringing the possibility of some light snowfall later today.
2. The next piece of energy from the remains of the current pattern comes into California late Friday afternoon. Although the main energy slips to the south, well to the west of the Sierra Crest, there may be some light snow or snow showers from it.
3. There appears to be a break in the action Saturday before an elongated flat ridge builds east into California. The ridge is so flat that a pretty good chunk of moisture comes over it in a northwest flow….and may give some light “warm advection” type snowfall to our area Saturday night and into Sunday. So as you can see, the weekend is expected to be unsettled. However the Dweebs do not expect heavy amounts of snowfall.
4. Stronger short wave ridging is expected Sunday night through Monday morning with the clouds on the increase again Monday afternoon with a more significant storm Monday Night into Tuesday. The new Thursday 12z GFS has a good moisture tap from the subtropics for the Monday Night/Tuesday system and has plenty of “UVM” upward vertical motion, for a foot or better storm. The Freezing Level with this system will be higher than the last.
Fantasyland: (Best guess at this time; using only today’s GFS Deterministic Guidance…..Highly Subject to Change)
5. The Dweebs see yet another storm with strong UVM slamming the Central Sierra Wednesday night into Thursday after which the pattern goes into transition to give us possibly a few days break before a new weather type develops. Although the Dweebs see some kind of system for Christmas eve/day……it appears that there will be one more multi-day storm that will be the “Grand Finale”, beginning the 26th and ending that following Friday. Again, this is not for planning purposes…..just for fun!
Dr Howard and the Dweebs………………………:-)